Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What to do in Montreal

Hubs and I are planning an upcoming weekend getaway in Montreal, Canada.  I'm pretty excited about the getaway as it has been a few months since we have got out of town just for us.

We'll be celebrating our first wedding anniversary.  I just can't believe it has been almost one year since our wedding day!  Not only is it our one year wedding anniversary, it also marks 8 years of our "togetherness."

Here are some of the fun things we are dreaming up for Montreal: 


1.  Eating a Beavertail

Have you ever eaten a Beavertail?  If not, you are missing out and you should plan a visit to Canada just because.

I haven't had one in AGES.  In fact, I think I've only had one once when I was in high school and I visited Ottawa with a friend to go skating on the canal.  Well, I haven't forgotten that Beavertail and I fully intend on finding a location in Montreal to savor another with Hubs. 

Who doesn't like fried-dough-goodness?  Nom. Nom. Nom.

2.  Hotel with indoor/outdoor roof top pool

When Hubs and I were in high school, a teacher once described a hotel in Montreal where you could swim on the roof outside in a heated pool while it was snowing.  Said hotel is also connected to an underground mall shopping center. 

Ever since hearing about this hotel, Hubs and I have said that we would find it and visit.  Well, we found it and we booked it and we are both excited to swim outside under the stars in the middle of winter.  I personally am hoping for a light fluffy snowfall for the swim.  So fun!

3.  SHOPPING!

  • There is an "underground city" in Montreal complete with lots of shopping.  We'll be hitting this up for sure!  
  • Sainte Catherine Street is full of shops, department stores, and restaurants.  We'll probably be strolling this street as well.  Window shopping perhaps?

4.  Night Life:  Bars

Montreal is a party city. We fully intend to hop around and find a couple bars for fun during our evenings. 

5.  Geocaching

Yes - we will find at least one geocache while abroad.  Maybe 2...or 3...

6.  Notre Dame Light Show

Notre Dame Basilica is too beautiful to just pass by.  The church has a light show with music to detail the history of the church.  This looks pretty neat.  We think we might check this out!

7.  Ice Skating

If weather is reasonable, we hope to find an outdoor skating rink where we can rent skates and just be outside.  If it's too cold, we would consider finding an indoor skating venue.  

8.  Van Houtte Bistro

When we are looking for our"favourite" brew to warm up I imagine we'll stroll into a Van Houtte Bistro for a delicious coffee break.

I'm definitely looking forward to our Montreal getaway weekend.  Anyone have any additional recommendations for things to do in Montreal?

No comments:

Post a Comment