Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Learning to Run

I have recently connected with a co-worker on the subject of running.  She asked if I was a runner and I mentioned that I am a "want-to-be."  I have tried running.  I've run outside and I've run on treadmills but I have never really stayed with it.

One of my 30/30 goals is to run a 5k color run.  Why a color run?  Because it makes running look like more fun.  Seriously.

My vision of this event is that I'll be able to run it at my pace the whole 3.1 miles of it without stopping

I've recently connected with a running group here in Vermont based out of an athletic store. The group I joined is a beginners group.  We meet on Wednesday nights to run outside together.  We have a training schedule.  We are invited to run together Saturday mornings and Monday evenings to stay motivated.

If you have never run with a group, I recommend it.  For me, it is motivating to have other people running beside me at my level.

I'll admit, I was skeptical about running outside in February/March/April Vermont weather.  I mean, I'm normally bundled up in sweatshirts and slippers inside with the heat on so I had reason for concern.  Much to my surprise I actually like running outside in this weather.  Once you start running, you don't even notice the cold or the snow.  Okay, you might notice the snow.

I'll be training with this group through the months of March and April.  In early May the group will run in a 5k race together.

Soon thereafter, I hope to run in a 5k color run!


No comments:

Post a Comment