Sunday, January 12, 2014

New Year, New Goals



Happy January!  As we enter the new year I’ve been thinking a lot about my personal 30/30 goals.  There are a few goals on my list that seemed ho-hum to me. I don’t think that I should keep items on the list if they don’t excite me. 

With that being said, we’ll be saying goodbye to a few goals I originally identified and welcoming in some new ones:

Visit Barbados
Pay off student loans

There – I said it.  Yes – this is a big deal.  I just want my student loans to be gone and to have the extra dollars in my wallet.  It’s going to be amazing when I send that last payment.  It’s going to be more amazing to have that monthly payment as income every month.  I can’t wait to drink to this. 

This item is replacing my “Visit Barbados” goal.  I still dream of visiting Barbados and I know that I’ll visit someday.  Realistically, I may not get there before I turn 30 and this is okay with me.

Buy a Bicycle
Hold a garage sale

I currently have my little sisters bike on borrow.  Since she’s joining the Peace Corps, the bicycle borrow time is pretty significant.  I think I’ll stick to riding hers around until I have to give it back or I’m able to find a good deal on a bike for myself.

Last summer our neighborhood had a garage sale day.  Unfortunately, Hubs and I didn’t realize what was going on until we walked around and saw all the garage sales.  I plan to be prepared for an upcoming garage sale day.  I am ready to purge some items we have in storage.  I’d also like to see how much extra cash we can bring in by letting go of the old.

Join a book club
Start a craft group

I enjoy reading.  For some time I thought I might enjoy reading with others and other social aspects of a book club.  Sometimes the idea of joining a book club that already exists gives me anxiety. I picture the club as a group of women that already know each other and are friends and I would be the new person and it would be too much pressure to try to assimilate. I’m a bit of an introvert and I think I may just enjoy reading for pleasure on my own.

I do love the idea of doing more crafts and doing them with others that are interested.  I think it would be fun to start a craft group where each member rotates selecting a craft and hosting a craft night.  I didn’t come up with this idea on my own.  Growing up my mom participated in a “Craft Group” with several of her friends in the area. I remember tagging along to a few events with her.  I think this could be a fun “girls night” of sorts and I feel like I have plenty of inspiration from Pinterest to get started.

Learn to play chess
Learn to play a new song on the piano

I don't know how to play chess and this is why I identified it as a goal.  However, the idea of learning chess and playing chess seems like a chore.  Therefore this must go.
 
Hubs and I will soon be acquiring my grandmother’s piano in our home.  I’m very excited to have such a significant item in our house.  It will really help us pull together our second living room which currently is in a state of identity crisis.  When the piano arrives, I’ll be transforming the space into a music and reading room.  I took a few years of piano lessons growing up.  I’d like to brush up on my piano playing and play for fun every now and then.  Once the piano makes the move to our house, I’ll be searching for a fun new song to learn.

 Cheers to new goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment