Monday, September 30, 2013

September Recipes 1 & 2

Happy fall blog world! September is officially winding down and October is a night's sleep away!

Recipe 1:  Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

September started out with a continued abundance of tomatoes from our veggie garden.  To use up masses of homegrown tomatoes I made homemade spaghetti sauce for the first time ever.  I used a very basic recipe I found online.  The whole process probably took less than 1 hour.  I'm sure there are more flavorful recipes out there in which you simmer tomatoes all day but, ain't nobody got time for that!

I served the spaghetti sauce over "homemade" noodles purchased from the grocery store and I topped the sauce with some not-so-homemade meatballs.  Add some toasted french bread, a glass of red wine and enjoy!


 

Recipe 2:  Scalloped Potatoes & Ham

There is something about the autumn season that beckons potatoes for dinner.  For me, scalloped potatoes are a hearty, homey meal.

I estimate that I began preparing this meal around 6:30pm after returning from a 9+hour day in the office.  An hour later I finished peeling the potatoes.  Next, I had my first ever onion induced cry as I diced onions.  Finally, it was time to put dinner in the oven...only to discover that it was going to take 2 hours to cook.

With 2 hours until dinner time I raced to put ingredients in the bread maker and set it for the quickest setting.  Nothing like warm homemade bread with melted butter to pair with this meal!

At 9:45pm, Hubs and I sat down for dinner.  Late dinner was memorable and delicious.  This meal also fed us all week.  Note to self:  Don't peel half as many potatoes next time!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment