Thursday, September 5, 2013

August Recipes 1 & 2 and EXTRA!



We have had a bountiful harvest from our little raised veggie garden this year.  Our tomato plants have done wonderfully.  We’ve harvested 26 tomatoes from our 2 tomato plants so far.  There are many more green tomatoes in the works. 

I focused on tomato based recipes to use up some of the delicious harvest.  YUM!

Recipe 1:  Fried Green Tomatoes




This recipe required a special trip to the grocery store to purchase cornmeal.  I didn’t use nearly as much oil as the recipes called for and the result was still delicious.

Making these made me want to watch the movie Fried Green Tomatoes.  If you haven’t seen this one you should check it out.  It's a great story about friendship.  A classic in my book.

Also noteworthy, I served this meal with iced sweet tea.  So southern of me!

Recipe 2:  Green Tomato Pizza


Throw some green tomatoes on your pizza crust, sprinkle them with salt and pepper.  Add caramelized onions and top with mozzarella cheese.  So good!

Green tomatoes taste different then red tomatoes.  They have a little more bite.  I like eating them green.  Who knew?

EXTRA:  Strawberry Rhubarb Pie



August was our month for hosting a dinner meal with our friends.  We have had some frozen rhubarb from Hubs sister’s garden and I was curious to try strawberry rhubarb pie.  I had never had it before.  This pie was a HUGE hit.  And by huge I mean everyone had two slices the night that I served it.  It was completely gone within 2 days of baking it. 

I think I discovered my favorite kind of pie! Next time I may try making a fancier top pie crust.  I’d like to try weaving or cutting out shapes to make it look a little more special.

Cheers to September and another month of kitchen experiments!

No comments:

Post a Comment