Sunday, July 29, 2012

Office decor

Someone in my office at work is expecting a baby and they are choosing to be surprised by the gender of the baby.  I had been thinking about making a sign for this persons office at work for awhile, and finally set aside some time to get to it!

The expecting mom is planning a nautical themed nursery.  She mentioned liking whales, so whales were my inspiration for the office decor.  I made a quick trip to Michaels to get just the right shade of pink and blue paper.



I surfed the internet to find a cute picture of a whale to use as my guide for sketching.  I sketched out the whale on construction paper.  There was a lot of erasing to get it just right.  I then cut out the shape of the whale on the construction paper and used it as my stencil for the actual paper I wanted to use.







After tracing and cutting out the whales on the solid colored paper, I then cut apart my construction paper stencil so that I could cut out the shape of the whale's belly in a patterned paper.  I then attached the patterned belly to the whale. 

I used a hole punch to get the eyes of the whales to be perfectly shaped, and I used a circle paper punch to structure the smiles. 

A bubbly blue piece of 12 x 12 scrapbooking paper serves as the background and gives a "water" look. 

Finally, I cut out wavy strips of white adhesive paper to look like waves in the water and placed them in a list format so that everyone at work can cast their vote as to whether they think the baby will be a girl or a boy.





What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment