Sunday, April 1, 2012

Homemade Ice Cream

Becoming husband's wife has also meant taking on some new family traditions.  Homemade vanilla ice cream is a real birthday treat in my husband's family.  Since husband celebrated a birthday recently and his parents were in town this weekend, I decided to take a swing at making it from scratch myself.

It was much easier than I expected.  We bought an ice cream maker attachment for the KitchenAid mixer a few weeks ago. The attachment is a bowl that feels like its full of liquid.  I cleaned it and put it in the freezer a few weeks ago, to assure it would be frozen solid for the task.

Next, I made the custard.  I mixed the egg yolks, sugar, and half-and-half.  I then cooked it over medium heat until it bubbled along the edge.  I returned it to the mixer, mixed in the whipping cream, vanilla, and salt and put it in the fridge to chill overnight.




The ice cream was soft, delicious, and enjoyed by all.

I'm happy to take on this birthday tradition.  I'm just not sure if I can wait until the next birthday to try out homemade chocolate ice cream!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh, being a part of that family i understand the homemade ice cream thing. This sounds good. Where did you get the ice cream attachment from? I may need to invest in one. See you next weekend. Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ordered the ice cream attachment from JC Penny. It made the whole ice cream making process very easy - no salt and ice mess or hand cranking! http://jcp.is/HGGphG

    ReplyDelete