Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Dairy Princess Celebrations

This past weekend I celebrated 50 years of dairy promotion through the Dairy Princess Program in my hometown. 

Each year, daughters of dairy farmers have the opportunity to compete for the title of Dairy Princess.  The selected princess works with her court of ambassadors and the American Dairy Association and Dairy Council to promote the dairy industry. 

Throughout the year the girls will visit various schools and events in communities to talk about the benefits of dairy in the diet.  The girls will also submit public relations pieces to local newspapers and radios to spread their message as well as attend local farmer meetings to provide updates.

How do I know all of this? Because I once served as Dairy Princess.  In fact, I served 10 years ago! 

Enjoying a milk based beverage before the banquet!
The Dairy Princess program had a great impact on me as a high school student. Learning how to coordinate large events and present to varied audiences was a skill that I took with me to college and even now continue to build upon in my current career.

I was thrilled to be invited back to the 50th Annual Dairy Princess Banquet and Parade. Of the prior 50 princesses, 23 returned to participate in the banquet and parade.  It was so fun to meet other women that have served over the years! 
Former princesses!

Although I am a bit removed from the dairy industry now, a part of me wishes that there were some way I could continue to give back to the program.  It would be fun to go back to coach and mentor new girls as they go through the program.


CHEESE!

The shirt reads "Once a princess, Always a princess."


The parade!!


No comments:

Post a Comment