Monday, September 17, 2012

Zentanagle

2 weeks ago I had the opportunity to participate in a zentangle class as an opportunity to learn to focus and improve creativity.  I jumped on the opportunity to use the right (and more creative) side of my brain for a few hours.

The art of zentangle involves learning to draw repetitive patterns in structured patterns on 3x3 tiles.  Our instructor taught us 8 patterns and encouraged us to let go of the inner critic and embrace our creative side.

There are 6 steps to zentangle:

1.  Focus - Clear your mind!
2.  Frame - Mark 4 dots and connect them with lines to frame the tile.  (Uneven lines are encouraged!)
3.  String - Outline the structure of your framed tile by breaking the frame into different sections.
4.  Fill - Fill each strung section with a different zentangle pattern.
5.  Shade - Shade patterns using pencil.
6.  Sign - Hold tile out at arms length and determine the orientation you desire for your zentangle.  Initial the tile.  Sign and date the back.

 

I really enjoyed learning zentangle.  I intend to buy a book to learn more patterns and to purchase a pre-strung ensemble set that I can frame for my future craft room.




No comments:

Post a Comment